During the winter months, it’s important to get outside when you can to soak up a little Vitamin D and sunshine. Although we have heard for years the negative side affects of the sun, a little natural sunlight goes a long way to promoting good health. It doesn’t take much, only 10 minutes a day. That much exposure will not typically be enough to burn you.
Sunlight and water are two vital components to a healthy existence. Natural sunlight happens to be one of the greatest healing remedies that you can find in nature. After all, plants thrive on it! Here are just a few of the health benefits that can be gained from just 10 minutes of natural sunlight a day:
Health Benefits of Vitamin D
- Sunlight stimulates your appetite and improves your digestion, elimination, and metabolism
- Natural sunlight enhances your immune system by increasing the number of white blood cells in your blood
- Sunshine encourages circulation by stimulating the production of more red blood cells which increases the amount of oxygen in your blood
- Natural sunlight increases melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone made by our bodies that enhances sleep and slows down the aging process
- Sunlight helps to balance out your hormones. It may even help to relieve certain symptoms of PMS
- Sunlight helps your body convert a form of cholesterol that is present in your skin into vitamin D which results in lower blood cholesterol levels
- Natural sunlight is a natural antiseptic. The rays can kill viruses, bacteria, molds, yeasts, fungi, and mites in air, water, and on different surfaces including your skin
If you can’t take a tropical vacation to warm up your bones and your skin, try just taking a brisk walk through the park for a few minutes. The fresh air, sunshine, and all that Vitamin D will do a body good!